My Everyday Beauty Essentials
I'm so excited to be writing the first full-blown beauty post on Keep Calm and Chiffon! I've never written about beauty for the site before, not because I don't love it, but because I fear that I'm not an expert and want to make sure that if I'm talking about stuff it's stuff I really love and believe is worth telling you all about. I've found that over the last few years, I've gotten to know my skin really well and have figured out a core lineup of products that work well for me. So to start off, I thought it would make sense to start with the basics that I use almost every day. I've given some bite-sized reviews of these products below, but if you have specific questions feel free to comment and I'd be happy to share more about them!
1. Kylie Jenner Burgundy Palette - I have to give Kylie credit here- this is the first product of hers that I've tried and I really do love it. I know it'll come in handy during the holidays and even though that doesn't mean I'll be sporting burgundy eyeshadow full time it has some shades I don't have on my other palette that are fun to play with. (Similar one here and pictured above.)
2. Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Foundation - I know this is technically foundation but if you ask me it works perfectly as a coverup! Since it's so matte it really does make red spots and zits less noticeable. It comes in a tiny bottle but since I don't use a lot of it each day I probably only replace it once every few months. Proof that sometimes the rules of makeup are meant to be broken.
3. NARS Lip Pencils - One of the fabulous things about NARS is that when you buy something of theirs, you just know it's going to be great. Take the lip pencils: they're super easy to use, the perfect size to throw in a small bag for a night out and have a smooth, creamy formula. My color suggestions include Cruella, Dolce Vita, Damned and Infatuated Red.
4. NARS Illuminator in Orgasm - After getting over the scandalous name when I first fell in love with this product in the ninth grade, Orgasm has always been a crucial part of my beauty game. As NARS advertises it really is multi-use but I love to apply it for a healthy glow to my cheeks, especially during the winter. One bottle will last you for longer than you think and it's definitely worth the moolah.
5. Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara - Whether or not this mascara is in fact better than sex may depend on who you're talking to, but one thing that I can tell you for sure is that this mascara is really, really good. It follows through on promises of lengthening and adding drama without overdoing it and without the need for several coats. I'm also impressed with how long it goes without drying out, meaning flawless lashes for days (and days).
6. Urban Decay Naked2 Eyeshadow Palette - Oh the never-ending battle of the Naked eyeshadow palettes. Let me save you some trouble: they're all great. But the one that has stayed with me over the years is Naked2. With shimmery neutrals, mauve-y colors for blending and warm dark tones for a more dramatic look, this one has everything I need whether it's for a simple everyday look or the biggest days of the year.
7. Glossier Priming Moisturizer - One of the biggest reasons customers love Glossier is because the cult skincare brand has always championed the skin first, makeup second mantra. I definitely feel like I'm putting my skin first when I use the Priming Moisturizer. I put it on before I apply any makeup and at night before bed. It just feels refreshing and light: just how you want your skin to feel. (And okay, I don't hate the cute and perfectly Instagram-appropriate packaging.)
8. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick - I've already sung my praises about the Stila Liquid Lipstick for NYLON but in case you haven't heard my testimonial before here's what you need to know: extremely long lasting with vibrant pigments and a brush that gets along edges and corners so you don't need lip liner. Some people complain it dries but I usually remedy that with a base of Aquaphor.
9. Stila Tinted Moisturizer - I remember the first time I discovered foundation. I caked way too much of it on to my face and it never really did what I wanted it to. When it comes to foundation these days, I save it for special occasions when someone who knows what they're doing is handling my makeup. Otherwise I prefer tinted moisturizer. It gets the job done of evening everything out without making me feel like I'm hiding under a mask, and anything else I can catch with concealer after.
10. Glossier Boy Brow - I've never once had anyone other than me touch my eyebrows. I've always loved the full shape and the more natural look, but when it comes to brows that won't stay in place and need a bit of filling in I always turn to Boy Brow. The brush allows for the perfect amount of mess and togetherness and does exactly what I need it to do.
Shop the post below!
With liberty and liquid lipstick for all!